Saturday, March 12, 2011

Innovative Fashion Design from UK Based Nigerian Label Buky Akib at Day 1 Arise Magazine Fashion Week Lagos 2011


Knitwear designer Buky Akib and her eponymous menswear label was by far the most impressive label that showed on the first day of shows during the Arise Magazine Fashion week 2011 in Lagos.


The University of the Arts London B.A holder took creative a unique kind of fabric that was a mash up of batik print, Aso-oke and knit. The whimsical shapes and cuts in the collection would leave some men pole-axed and even I admit that I might now wear all of the pieces but I admire the craft and artistry employed in its construction.


I find that British trained fashion designers are always more idiosyncratic and sometimes make beautiful pieces that can stand alone as art and most times not even make it into the street, but to me I feel that’s real fashion design. The designer is not bothered about the commercial prospects of the piece but instead is free to design from their core.

I felt that same vibe of no restrictions in this collection and I was duly impressed by Buky Akibs work upon first sight. Top marks for innovation and quirkiness.

See more of the pieces from the collection and close up detail shots after the jump














 Contact
Email: info-at-bukiakib.com
Tel: Lagos: +2348163195758, London: +44 794 0234 454

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive criticism is welcome as well as words of inspiration. Structure your point, no random bitching...